Sunday, September 21, 2014

YOU HAD ONE JOB!

I don't have to write a dissertation for this post, but suffice it to say that if our students don't obtain a desire to read, write, think, count and speak and our teachers don't find a way to teach in a manner that pulls reading, writing, thinking, counting and speaking out of our students, we are going to have what we see in the photo much too much. Our students must discipline themselves and understand the connection between their education and their present/future.

As parents and educators we must help our students/children develop discipline in everything that we teach. In my home, even the manner in which one squeezes the toothpaste from the bottom instead of squeezing it in the middle of the tube is a matter of teaching discipline and doing a job right. I don't ever want any of my own children or the children I serve in my school to ever be told that he/she had only one job and you screwed that up (I'm sure that's the sentiment behind the commentary). I'm also sure that if we were to place a caption at the bottom of the photo, we could finish the sentence started with the top caption of "YOU HAD ONE JOB and you...........(fill in the blanks). Our children must be willing to learn and our parents and teachers must be willing to teach and not just teach, but to teach excellence. Something to critically think about.

You are invited to listen to me live each Saturday at 6 a.m. ET on WP88.7 FM and for those of you who are not in the northern NJ area on gobrave.org as the host of The Reading Circle. You are also invited to follow me on Twitter @thinkcritical01.

No comments: