Sunday, August 31, 2014

MOTOWN THE MUSICAL

Last night my wife and I celebrated her birthday at a performance of MOTOWN THE MUSICAL at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in New York City. The show was excellent. As I watched the portrayals of the Motown acts, the thought that just kept coming to my mind was how far we have dropped in terms of entertainment class. This thought kept coming to me as I watched the dress and choreography of that time and compared it to what might as well be nakedness on stage today. I am no prude by any stretch of the imagination; however, there is a stark contrast between the gowns, suits and tuxedos worn by performers in the Motown era compared with the ripped and torn clothing, pants hanging down, body parts exposed, etc. etc. seen in 2014. Yes, sex has always sold and been a part of the acts, but there was just something different when some things were left to the imagination. Something to critically think about. Hear The Critical Thinker live on The Reading Circle each Saturday morning at 6 a.m. ET on gobrave.org and you are invited to follow along on Twitter @thinkcritical01.

No comments: